The Beaufort County School District is teaming up with Hargray and other corporate sponsors to hold a pair of “Back-to-School Expos” designed to give students and their families a day of fun, food, door prizes and valuable information about the upcoming school year.
The annual expos are scheduled at Hilton Head Island High School on July 27 and Beaufort High School on August 10. Both events will run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and free transportation will be provided from several centralized locations.
“These events are terrific ways for families to get ready for school because there’s a lot of practical and helpful information to share,” said Superintendent Jeff Moss. “It’s also gratifying to see how much assistance we get from business partners, civic groups and faith-based groups.”
Students and their families are encouraged to attend the events, which will feature:
- Forums for teens that focus on this year’s GradNation 2020 theme, “The Tassel is Worth the Hassle.”
- Booths operated by district schools that can supply information about school activities.
- Door prizes that will include bicycles, theme baskets and an iPad donated by Hargray.
- Free school supplies for students, courtesy of Walgreen’s and the district’s “Pack the Bus” campaign.
- Free health screenings for adults and children will be provided by Hilton Head Hospital and Coastal Carolina Hospital on July 27, and on August 10 by Beaufort- Jasper- Hampton Comprehensive Health Services, South Carolina Primary Health Care Association and the Henry Schein’s Healthy Lifestyles, Healthy Communities.
- Ronald McDonald Mobile Care will provide information on dental hygiene.
- Beaufort Memorial Hospital’s Healthlink mobile unit will provide screenings and health information.
In addition, there will be special sessions designed to energize and inspire students and families as they begin the new school year. These sessions will be conducted by Leading to Change, a Charlotte professional development and training company with corporate clients across the Southeast.
For families needing transportation to the July 27 expo at Hilton Head Island High School, school buses will make pick- ups at H.E. McCracken Middle School (8 a.m.), Bluffton Middle School (8:15 a.m.), Bluffton House Apartments (8:25 a.m.) and the front entrance to the Oaks Apartments on Hilton Head (8:50 a.m.).
For families needing transportation to the August 10 expo at Beaufort High School, school buses will make pick-ups at St. Helena Elementary School (8:30), Lady’s Island Middle School (8:45 a.m.). A separate bus will make pick-ups at Whale Branch Middle School (8:15 a.m.), Robert Smalls Middle School (8:30 a.m.) and Beaufort Elementary School (8:45 a.m.).
For additional information on the two expos, contact Lakinsha Petty (322-5451) at the Beaufort County School District.